Are you interested in local democracy, international development or human rights? Apply for an internship at the Swedish International Centre for Local Democracy!
The Swedish International Centre for Local Democracy (ICLD) believes that critically important change happens at the local level. Local governments are at the core of democratic development around the world, and it is the everyday work carried out by villages, towns, cities, municipalities and regions, that creates the change that is fundamental for equitable, inclusive and sustainable global development. With its focus on local democracy, local self-governance and decentralisation, ICLD serves as an initiator of new research and knowledge generation as well as a link to existing knowledge and expertise. We strengthen local governments’ capacity to analyse, prioritize and implement Agenda 2030 in accordance with their own resources and needs. ICLD programmes aim at strengthening local democratic institutions.
About the internship
This is an opportunity for Masters students who want to do an internship within the framework of a social science, communication or humanities education at a Swedish university. ICLD offers students the opportunity to apply their educational experience through practical work assignments in the field they would like to build a career in. Our internal working language is Swedish, and our documentation and reports are often written in English, so you need to be proficient in both Swedish and English in both speech and writing.
Benefits of an internship at ICLD
The goal of the internship is for interns to gain a deeper understanding of Swedish international development cooperation and increased knowledge about local democracy. Interns are part of the team and participate in our daily activities. They are encouraged to apply knowledge from academic studies to real-world situations as well as develop a small project relevant to their studies. We offer the chance for you to advance your research, writing, communications, and media skills, and an opportunity to contribute to ICLD’s work, and to get experience and insights on:
- International cooperation in the field of local democracy
- City to city learning
- Knowledge sharing in the context of development
- Research on best practices regarding local development
- Enrolled in a Masters programme (or internship course) at a Swedish university
- Studying in an area relevant to ICLD’s work such as global studies, political science, communications, international development, human rights, sociology or other social sciences, or similar
- Demonstrated interest in governance/development issues
- Able to assess, manage and structure information, have good analytical skills, can work independently, and can prioritise and structure work
- Candidates should be creative thinkers, self-motivated, well-organised
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with different groups and cultures
- Good command of Swedish and English (both written and verbal)
- Can show sensitivity and respect regardless of culture, gender, religion, race, nationality, sexual orientation and age
- Interested in or have knowledge of Sweden’s development cooperation and the Sustainable Development Goals, as well as some knowledge about the role of local governments in development
- Knowledge of languages from ICLD’s partner countries is an asset
- Media and graphic design skills are desirable
- Knowledge and/or experience with communications, social media and marketing is desirable
Internships are unpaid and full-time during the spring and autumn semesters. We do not offer internships during the summer. Interns are responsible for arranging and paying for their accommodation in Visby. Regarding requirements for interns’ presence in Visby, we will be flexible during due to the current pandemic situation. This means that the interns do not have to be present in the office but are given the opportunity to work remotely. If the intern still wants to be on site in Visby, the same rules will apply as for everyone else – that you may report your presence according to routine. ICLD will be able to assist the trainees financially with travel to Visby a few times during the internship period.
The application is closed.
Questions about internship may be directed to Robin Alnäs, firstname.lastname@example.org