ITP – Gender Mainstreaming Local Democracy
The programme is based on Agenda 2030 and the 17 sustainable development goals. A special focus is placed on goal #5 – gender equality. Every local government participating in the programme is therefore expected to carry out a change process using the gender mainstreaming method. Many Swedish municipalities use gender mainstreaming as a strategy for achieving the Swedish government’s gender equality political goals. Gender mainstreaming means that a gender equality assessment must be conducted of all policies that affect the way people live, so that everyone – women and men, girls and boys – can live gender-equal lives.
- Improved knowledge about the importance and advantage of decentralization and good governance with a gender perspective inorder to achieve socio-economic development
- Nature, scope and purpose of local governments in a multi-level democracy
- Understanding and using relevant tools to support local development and local democracy
- Improved skills in change management and strategic planning
- Different approaches to implement decentralized governance reform processes
- Expanded national and international networks in support of local development and decentralized governance at different levels.