The partnership between Åmål and Manafwa municipalities was established with the objective of establishing links between NGOs and CBOs in Åmål and Manafwa.
The aim of the project is to:
- improve on social welfare services in the two municipalities
- improve interaction between municipal authorities and civil society and create awareness about social welfare challenges in developed and developing countries.
The main activities are exchange of experience through mutual visits and compilation and dissemination of practices and information.
Since the initiation of the Manafwa – Åmål partnership in 2006, five projects have been executed. The Manafwa and Åmål partnership projects have focused on capacity building in political and technical administration, education, water, renewable energy and environmental management. Besides various public administration entities, elected politicians and municipal staff, several NGOs and community based groups (CBO) have been approached and participated in the project.
The project objectives are:
- To establish links between NGOs and CBOs in Åmål and Manafwa with the aim of improving social welfare services in the two municipalities
- Improve interaction between municipal authorities and civil society
- Create awareness about social welfare challenges in developed and developing countries
All the above mentioned activities are geared towards ensuring that Social welfare challenges and actions will be integrated in long term policy-making and planning and also improved interaction between municipal authorities and NGOs/CBOs will be ensured in Manafwa.