To create stronger local economies and more sustainable cities, through the development of the partner cities as destinations for sustainable and responsible tourism.
The municipalities in both partner cities have developed methods to work with and support local operators, to decrease the environmental impact from tourism, develop the local economies and start developing the cities as destinations for sustainable tourism.
- Both partner municipalities have gained a better understanding of the current situation for local operators in the tourism and event sector (from here on: LO) in their cities.
- Relevant methods for the municipality of Swakopmund to work with LOs have been developed.
- LOs in both cities have gained training on how they can contribute to sustainable development and work with eco-tourism.
- The municipalities in both cities have developed support systems for the LOs.
- Networks for exchange of experiences and capacity building have been created.
- Marketing of eco-tourism in Swakopmund have been made through a booklet.
- Both partner cities have started to formulate strategies for sustainable tourism.
- The project have been evaluated and a final report is written. Results are communicated.
- In surveys and interviews at the end of the project 75 % of the local operators in the tourism and event sector that have participated in the project say that they have become more aware of their environmental impact and have gained knowledge on how to decrease it. 60 % of the respondents say that they have started to act to decrease their environmental impact.
- Situation analyses have been made in both cities.
- Study visits and meetings with relevant organizations in Malmö have been made
- Methods to be used when cooperating with LOs in the project have been chosen
- A training concept have been developed
- Training courses have been held for LOs. At least 20 LOs in each city has received training.
- A manual on eco-tourism in Swakopmund has been developed and distributed
- Possibilities to start an incubator in Swakopmund have been investigated.
- A network has been formed and they have had their first meeting.
- A booklet for Swakopmund has been made and distributed.
- The municipality of Swakopmund has started working on a city-wide strategy for sustainable tourism.
- In Malmö, the work to create a marketing strategy for Malmö as a sustainable destination has been started.