The main objective of this training programme is to strengthen the ongoing change processes that contribute to social and economic development and to strengthen the institutions in the selected municipalities and regions.
This will be achieved through participating municipalities integrating their work with human rights so that equality, participation, transparency and taking responsibility/demanding responsibility becomes a reality in the municipalities.
Participants will learn new methods for working on rights-based approach at the local level and will gain greater knowledge in gender equality, participation, transparency/anti-corruption and accountability. Varied educational methods are used within the program, but the focus is on dialogical methods and study visits. A further goal of the program is for participants to expand their national and international networks.
This training is aimed at local officials and elected politicians from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kosovo, Northern Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine. Participants are accepted in teams of 3 persons from one municipality/organization and apply with a municipal challenge that they will work with throughout the 18 months long international training programme. All parts of the training are based on equity, participation, transparency and accountability, and the goal is to strengthen democracy in the organizations taking part in the programme.
- Valuable exchange of knowledge and experiences
- Extended regional and international networks
- Support to improve participation, equality, transparency and accountability in the local governance
Expected outcomes, the participants will:
- be familiar with decentralized local government with a rights-based approach, with particular focus on equal opportunity, participation, transparency/ anti-corruption, and accountability.
- be familiar with local development in a democracy from a comparative perspective.
- have the tools necessary to support local development and local democracy with a rights-based approach.
- be able to carry out change management work and strategic planning
- have expanded their national and international networks within the field of local development, human rights and governance
The Human Rights Based Approach Programme has a strong focus on those who are most marginalized, excluded or discriminated. The goal is therefore to strengthen the institutional capacity and the integration of a rights-based thinking at local level and in the municipal service.
What we will offer:
- Training in Human Rights, Human Rights Based Approach and communication
- Exposure to different political experiences
- Two-day study-visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- An opportunity for the participating municipality to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
- Citizen´s dialogue
- Through various trainings, lectures and workshops
- Identification of challenges and finding solutions to issues faced by local team members and their organizations
- By offering strategic support and coaching from ICLD staff and their mentors
- In sharing of professional obstacles and successes in an inclusive environment
Each team of participants, all from the same municipality, is expected to develop and work with a change project during the course of the training. The project constitutes the link between the theoretical knowledge that the participants will acquire during the training and the practical experience needed in the specific situations in which the various participants find themselves. The change project must be of benefit to the community of the team and a description of the project must be appended to the application. The relevance of the suggested change project is an important aspect in the assessment of the applications. Note that the change projects must be supported by participants organisations and will not be financed by the ICLD