We are looking for a research officer to join our team – are you the one?
In this role you will operationalize and support ICLD’s research, support our monitoring and evaluation team, lead the development of ICLD’s network of researchers and be responsible for the implementation of ICLD’s publications. You will report to the research director, collaborate closely with the other ICLD units and be the key liaison with partner universities. This position is placed at ICLD’s Knowledge Centre which is a small unit and therefore the position also include additional administrative tasks and flexibility to adapt.
Here are the things we want to hire you to do:
- IMPACT: To manage and administer ICLD’s publication series, editing, reading, and being responsible for the entire process with the advice and support of the research director. Publications are prepared by researchers and the research officers in charge of helping researchers adapt their papers to be more relevant for local government officials and politicians.
- INFLUENCE: To influence the development of new research projects and the connections between researchers and government officials by launching strategic partnerships with different universities and organising local democracy labs, panels and workshops that connect researchers with our international training and municipal partnership programmes.
- IMPROVE: To develop routines, guidelines and documentation of our different programmes.
- MONITORING AND EVALUATION: To support the monitoring and evaluation of ICLD’s programmes by writing terms of reference and leading different ongoing program evaluations
- COMMUNICATE: Be innovative and think outside the box to better communicate research and design and create tools on local democracy that can be used in our international training and municipal partnership programmes.
Who You Are
You have a master’s degree in in a relevant discipline. At least two years of experience in research, local governments, or international development. Experience with monitoring and evaluation, local democracy issues and local governments is an advantage. You have deep, demonstrated expertise in presenting and discussing research in a fluent, engaging and analytical way. Experience with qualitative or quantitative methods is required. You enjoy reading long academic texts and writing briefs, summaries, and short research reports.
To succeed in the role, you also need to have:
- Interest in local democracy including the issues of accountability, equality, participation and transparency.
- You can work independently, reading and editing research reports and policy briefs, as well as start new projects and lead new initiatives.
- You must work well in a relatively small organisation that requires great flexibility and collaboration with other employees as well as ICLD’s rich network of both researchers and practitioners.
- You are a self-starter who doesn’t need direct supervision to motivate you for success.
- You have a proactive approach, get things done and can deliver results with short deadlines.
- You should speak and write in excellent English and be able to communicate in basic Swedish.
Form of employment
This is a position of indefinite duration. Your workplace is Visby or Stockholm. Starting date is 15 of August 2021 or earlier. The position requires international travels equivalent to about 20 days a year.
Send your letter of motivation, master thesis and CV to the email: email@example.com at the latest the 28th of May marked with the subject “Research”. In your motivation letter tell us why you want to be our next research officer.
Ana Maria Vargas Falla – Research Director
+46 (0) 725698814
Union representative at ICLD
+46 (0) 498-41 02 91