ICLD internship programme – Autumn 2019
For the autumn term 2019, the International Centre for Local Democracy seeks two interns for its head office in Visby.
The objective of the internship is to provide a learning opportunity for master’s students within the study area of political sciences, sociology, communications, human rights, development, and other social sciences. The interns are expected to act as part of the team and participate in our daily activities, as well as to develop a small project relevant to their studies. The work requires that you have good analytical skills, can work independently and can prioritise and structure your work.
ICLD’s operations cover three principal areas:
- The Knowledge Centre, which plays an active role in knowledge development and sharing within the sphere of local democracy and is also active regarding the organisation’s quality assurance work
- The Municipal Partnership Programme, which supports development cooperation between Swedish municipalities, regions, city councils with similar bodies in 19 partner countries
- The International Training Programme which offers qualified, long-term educational measures aimed at key figures/change agents in our partner countries. ITP has both international programmes comprising delegates from several countries, and national programmes in two countries, Russia and Zimbabwe.
The goal of the internship is that interns gain an increased understanding of Swedish international development cooperation and increased knowledge about local democracy development.
- To collect, organise and disseminate “best cases” and learning outcomes from our International Training Programmes or our Municipal Partnership Programme
- To help the Knowledge Centre to collect knowledge from ICLD’s work in different low- and middle-income countries
- To help in the organisation of different workshops and training events
- To write, edit and post web articles
We offer an opportunity for each intern to contribute to ICLD’s work with their knowledge and skills, and to get experience, knowledge and insights on:
- International cooperation in the field of local democracy
- City to city learning
- Knowledge sharing in the context of development
- Research on best practices regarding local development
- Practical skills in organising workshops and training events in international development
Qualifications and required skills
- Be enrolled in a Master programme dealing with issues relevant to development at the local level. It can be in the areas of political science, sustainability, international development, human rights, sociology or other social sciences.
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Knowledge of Sweden’s development cooperation
- Interest and knowledge about the role of local governments in development
- Analytical, drafting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to assess, manage and structure information
- Ability to work with diversity and in a multicultural environment
- Language skills required: fluent written and oral Swedish and English required
Time and working place
The intern will be co-supervised by the Research Director and the person designated by the director of the Municipal Partnership programme or the International Training Programme. The intern will be provided a work station at ICLDs headquarters in Visby, Gotland. The internship position will be full time September – December 2019. The intern’s office hours are 9:00-17:00.
Terms of internship
Internships at ICLD are unpaid. However, students or other interns are expected to have either CSN grant or Arbetsförmedlingen grant. ICLD can reimburse two return tickets by boat to Visby.
How to apply