Local Democracy Academy
The ICLD Local Democracy Academy is an academic programme that brings together an international group of leading scholars, doctoral students, post-doctoral scholars, junior researchers, local policy makers and government officials for an intensive week of mutual learning, critical thinking and joint exploration of new ideas and approaches to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Our Academy provides a unique setting to:
- Connect leading scholars to share ideas and provide innovative policy recommendations
- Strengthen junior scholars by matching them with senior researchers and policy makers providing a space for fruitful collaboration that leads to research that can answer to society’s greatest challenges
- Collaborate across disciplines, writing innovative research proposals, cutting edge papers, and concrete policy briefs
- Provide policy labs for researchers, leading policy makers and practitioners to discuss concrete problems experienced by local governments and provide possible solutions
At the end of the Academy, participants will be invited to submit research proposal for funding.
Time and place:
The Local Democracy Academy will take place in Umeå, Sweden from 10-14 June 2019. The Academy is organised by ICLD in collaboration with Umeå University and UCLG (tbc).
The 2019 academy’s theme is Global Challenges and Local Governments: in search of Creative Policies and Practices.
We encourage participation from researchers interested in the role of cities and local governments in development to apply. Priority will be given to researchers conducting research in municipalities in low- and middle-income countries, particularly the following: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, China, Georgia, Indonesia, Kenya, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Mozambique, Namibia, Serbia, South Africa, Tanzania, Turkey, Uganda, Vietnam, and Zambia. However, researchers conducting research on local governments in other parts of the world are also welcomed to apply.
Transportation, accommodation and related costs during the academy will be covered by ICLD.
The application must include:
- An abstract of a paper or research project that is a “work in progress” to be discussed at one of the thematic sessions
- A letter of intent specifying what you can contribute to the Academy and what you hope to get from your participation
- One letter of recommendation
- Proof of being enrolled as a PhD candidate, post-doctoral researcher, lecturer or researcher at a university
- Application period 1-30 March 2019 at www.icld.se/localdemocracyacademy
- Results 20 April 2019
- Confirmation of attendance by selected participants 25 April 2019
- Arrival in Umeå, Sweden 9 June
- Academy 10-14 June 2019
- Departure 15 June
Applicants unable to commit for the entire week will not be considered.
The Academy: ICLD’s approach
The academy is organised around interactive and participatory sessions. Participants are expected to contribute, read, write and actively engage in different sessions. The academy is divided into the following sessions:
• Thematic streams: for in-depth discussions on cross-cutting issues. See list of streams below.
• Training on participatory methods: story-telling, and participatory video.
• Writing workshops: for junior and senior scholars to discuss ongoing research and research projects in small groups with the possibility to receive and provide feedback.
• From science to policy workshop: to brainstorm policy recommendations based on your own research. Scholars are expected to produce short policy briefs for local politicians.
• Local Policy Labs: to discuss real life problems experienced by local governments and to brainstorm ideas for further research.
• Reading sessions: to critically discuss established and new texts in the field of local democracy.